Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Durand, Wisconsin: Part 2

I started off the day by jogging the perimeter of Durand, a total distance of 2.33 miles. The humidity just about killed me, but it was fun to see the town. I found two pizza parlors, two ice cream parlors, a fishing store, three gas stations, one auto parts store and about ten bars. It's quite the town!

Map of two-mile perimeter of Durand, WI

For lunch we decided to make a trip to the local cheese factory. I scarfed down restaurant left overs when we dropped by the hotel and then we headed out. I didn't need those left overs because they had about a hundred different cheese samples you could try. Boy were they delicious! I don't care how many people say that California cheese is the best, but Wisconsin cheese is better! Seen below are the three choices I decided to bring home after much trial and tribulation in the decision process.

10 Year Old Cheddar Cheese, Blueberry Cheddar Cheese, and Chocolate Cheese, all from Eau Galle Cheese Factory

Nelson, WI: Population 374
We decided that we couldn't leave Wisconsin without trying the ice cream too, so we asked around. The word on the street: the best ice cream is found at the Nelson Creamery, about 15 miles South in Nelson, WI, population 374. The place closes at 6pm so we headed straight there after we finished working for the day. I ordered a chicken bacon cheddar sandwhich that turned out to have about as much cheddar as it did meat. It was great! And to top it off, one of the best scoops of cookies 'n' cream ice cream I have ever had. I found the place I've been searching for all my life. Sadly we had to head out so we jumped in the car.

After a few minutes we passed through Pepin, birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I didn't remember passing it on the way, but Scott insisted. Every couple of minutes I mentioned that I didn't think we were on the right road, but I was shot down. Eventually I saw something off the road that made me know for sure that we were going the wrong directionthe Mississippi River! Once we found ourselves on Google Maps we routed a new course, back home. I was amazed at how beautiful Wisconsin is during the summer. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING is green and gorgeous. It's too bad I have to head back home tomorrow.

I finished my day off with my nightly walk exploring Durand. I took this picture of the train tracks going through the city. Even the tracks are green! And the picture seems to depict my life quite clearly: I'm on a new path in life, one that only moves forward.

Train tracks through Durand, WI

3 comments:

  1. Thats some cool traintracks and all the food sounds awesome. I want some of that cheese!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well take a road trip to SoCal, Shawnanana, and I'll share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, you can't really say Wisconsin cheese is better than California cheese. You're comparing their really good stuff to our regular grocery store cheeses. You probably haven't gone to dairies in California like Point Reyes and trying our good stuff. But then we buy Tillamook, which isn't even California cheese. Aw shucks, give Wisconsin the blue ribbon for cheese because we make up for it in other ways.

    ReplyDelete